Spending a day by the seaside can be the perfect way to relax and have fun with friends and family… but if you are taking your dog with you then it is important to do your research first as many beaches have dog restrictions during the summer months. I thought it would be fun to take Fifi to the seaside so she could see the sea and play on the sand, and I’m pleased to say that she loved it… we all did!
If you are planning to visit the Yorkshire Coast from West Yorkshire, then I would certainly advise avoiding the roads which are too close to York, as you’ll find a lot of congestion. Instead, I recommend taking the scenic route, this way you can pass through, and stop off at, some beautiful towns in the Ryedale district. If you’ve got your dog with you, you can also stretch your legs on the North York Moors, as the road passes by the Sutton Bank National Park.
Itinerary: Ilkley to Filey Day Out
- After passing through Otley, stop off at The Blue Barn on Pool Road to collect a toy or bone to keep the dog happy for the journey.
- Stop off at the dog-friendly Beadlam Grange Farmshop and Tearoom
- Park up at Reighton Sands, and have a lovely time on the beach! ?
- Drive to Filey, either park up somewhere and go for a stroll, or stay in the car and enjoy the views whilst driving about – there is a road which goes along the seafront, so you can really get the feel of it without having to get out. (Good if it is raining or if you’re struggling to park).
- Go to the Scarborough Stained Glass Centre for lunch in the lovely garden, and to have a look at the beautiful stained glass creations!
- Head home for a well-deserved nap!
Beadlam Grange Farmshop and Tearoom
There are plenty of parking spaces here, and a good grassy area for the dog to stretch her legs and have a wee. There is some outside seating, but dogs are allowed inside too. There is a relaxed and laid-back feel to the place, and the staff are very friendly and efficient. There are some gorgeous shops surrounding the dining area, my favorite being the artisan florist shop of Queens Flowers – stunning! If you arrive before midday breakfast is being served, and after midday, you can order from the lunch menu.